The J.O. Combs Unified School District’s Governing Board invites you to a Community Forum on Thursday, December 6th beginning at 6:00pm in the Combs High School Library to meet the finalists for the Superintendent position.
Moderated by Mr. Steve Highlen, Arizona School Board Association consultant, parents, staff, students, and community members will be offered an opportunity to submit questions for the panel discussion. After the question and answer session, attendees will have the opportunity to informally interact with the finalists. During this time, attendees will also be able to complete a comment card that will be delivered to the Governing Board as part of their deliberations commencing at approximately 7:00pm.
We encourage all parents, staff, students, and community members to attend this very important meeting.
Dr. Cort Monroe
Dr. Monroe earned his Doctorate from Northern Arizona University in the area of Educational Leadership. His dissertation is titled, Relationship Between New Teacher Evaluation Scores and Student Growth Scores in Grades 4-5 . The study provides insight into the relationship between teacher evaluations and student academic growth.
Dr. Monroe currently serves as the Assistant Superintendent of Student Services for the Queen Creek Unified School District, a position he has held since July of 2017. Prior to this appointment he served Queen Creek as the Assistant Superintendent for Student Learning for two years.
Dr. Monroe joined Queen Creek after holding the positions of Director of Student Services and principal in the Higley Unified School District. His career in Higley began in July of 2009. Prior to joining Higley, Dr. Monroe was a principal in the Mesa Unified School District, a teacher in the Gilbert Unified School District, and a teacher in the Nebo School District in Utah.
Dr. Monroe has also taught undergraduate classes for the University of Phoenix and Chandler Gilbert Community College.
Dr. Monroe has received a number of awards during his career that include:
- Earned A+ School of Recognition Award through the Arizona Education Foundation
- Higley Unified School District CONNECT Award
- Brigham Young University Alumni Educator Spotlight recognition in 2009 and 2015 As an educator Dr. Monroe has been an active member with a number of professional organizations, including the following:
- Brigham Young University McKay School of Education Phoenix Arizona Chapter Alumni Board
- Justserve.org Volunteer Coordinator
- State Superintendent of Arizona Principal Advisory Group
- Phi Delta Kappa International
- Boy Scouts of America National Association of Elementary and Secondary School Principals
- Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development
Dr. Greg Wyman
Dr. Wyman earned his Doctorate from the University of Arizona in the area of Educational Administration. His dissertation, a comprehensive study of the education reform movement, is titled The Excellence Reform Movement: Sixteen Years Later.
Dr. Wyman currently serves as the Superintendent of Payson Unified School District, a position he has held since July of 2014. Over the past twenty years Dr. Wyman has demonstrated his leadership skills as a Superintendent in three Arizona school districts including Payson USD, Apache Junction USD, and Snowflake USD.
Dr. Wyman also has experience as an Associate Superintendent for Tempe Union High School District, a principal for the Snowflake School District, and a principal for the Patagonia Union High School District.
He began his career in public education as a teacher and track coach in the Amphitheater Unified School District.
Dr. Wyman has received a number of awards during his career that include:
- President’s Technology Award from the American Association of School Administrators
- Education Partner Award from the Arizona Business Education Coalition
- NCA Circle of Excellence Award from the North Central Association
During his career Dr. Wyman has taken an active leadership role in his community. To mention a few:
- Town of Payson Economic Development Planning Team
- Friends of the Rim Country Gila Community College Board
- Chamber of Commerce (Rim Country, Apache Junction, and Snowflake/Taylor)
- Superstition Mountain Rotary Club
- Apache Junction Economic Development Action Planning Team
- Boy Scouts of America